People Versus Pathogens, Food Chain Radio with Michael Olson, April 2014

http://metrofarm.com/assets/podcasts/2014-04-19_963bbacteria.mp3

People Versus Pathogens, Food Chain Radio with Michael Olson, April 2014

As humans today we are very comfortable with the idea of ourselves as individuals and our body as our own. but did you know that you are 90% not you? Only 10% of the cells in the human body are human cells, the other 90% can be attributed to a myriad of bacterial, viral and maybe even some fungal cells; but don’t let that send you into an identity crisis.The good news is most of the time those communities that we host are beneficial and even crucial to our existence. Gautam Dantas, Ph D, principal investigator at Washington University at St. Louis, The Dantas Lab works at the interface of microbial genomics, ecology, biochemistry, and synthetic biology, to understand, harness, and engineer the biochemical processing potential of microbial communities. 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s